Deans Blue Hole, Deadmans Caye, Bahamas

Kathryn McPhee and Kerian Hibbs have been invited to compete at the Vertical Blue Competition at Dean's blue hole, in the Bahama's alongside some of the worlds best freedivers. Both Athletes will set new NZ records in various depth disciplines during the 10 day competition.

Here you will be able to check on their pre-competition activity and track their progress during the competition.

Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Today I became a Free Diver!

Day 9 of the comp started with a stunning day.

Ryuzo was up first with a 105m nomination which was another 4m past his National Record set just a few days ago. Unfortunately today was not to be and due to Eq he did not make it to the plate.

Next was Hawaii's Leo who was chasing his second National Record. Free Immersion to 76m.
A nice recovery on the surface saw him clench his second US Record in this comp.

Following Leo was yours truly. After the last week of being stuck on 62m, the legendary Dave Mullins spent some time assessing my Eq by doing some rather nasty negative dives after the comp had wound up yesterday. He spotted a few things that I was doing wrong and suggested some solutions. Today was the day to put it into practice.

Also an e-mail from Ant Williams telling me to forget the comp and dive for the enjoyment helped put my mind set into a different place.

I was a little nervous at the surface before the dive, but thats always a good thing for me as it helps me focus more.
My breathe up was great, packing even better then I was away.

As I got to the "Sink Phase" (insert American voice here) where the body is no longer buoyant, I bought my hands to my side and just relaxed dropping down and accelerating. My first stage depth alarm went off to tell me to mouth fill which I did and then William Winram jumped into my head "Relax and enjoy it"
I went limp and embraced the drop.
For a change equalizing was a breeze and next thing I know I almost smash into the bottom plate!!! I actually went right past it. I grab the plate to turn myself as I no longer have my hand on the rope. I then look up over the side of the plate, see my tag, grab it and start to swim to the surface. I am swimming too fast because I am excited so I switch to a double kick and glide. Its the most comfortable / familiar way for me to swim. Next thing Natalie is in view, I am only 20m from the surface! I stop kicking in the last 10m and float to the top, grab the line and complete Surface Protocol. White card !



I am so excited .. I am finally a freediver!




Kathryn is next so after a quick suck of the O2 I swim back in time to coach her.
Its a close thing!
Kathryn gets away from the surface the best I have seen yet. The calls come in, 20m, 30m, 40m, 50m, turn!
She gets to the surface looking really relaxed and completes SP. A very nice dive and probably the best she has looked after a no fins dive so far this comp.
A new national record at 50m no fins.

The rest of the day saw Tomoko and Megumi both also get white cards.

A great day for those who dived.