Deans Blue Hole, Deadmans Caye, Bahamas

Kathryn McPhee and Kerian Hibbs have been invited to compete at the Vertical Blue Competition at Dean's blue hole, in the Bahama's alongside some of the worlds best freedivers. Both Athletes will set new NZ records in various depth disciplines during the 10 day competition.

Here you will be able to check on their pre-competition activity and track their progress during the competition.

Friday, April 4, 2008

3rd April - Day 3 of Comp

Tough Day in the Office

Well, today was a tough day. I had nominated a 66m cwt dive. Feeling I was ready to break the 60m depths I have been diving to.

The day started with Ryuzo Diving Constant Weight 100m which was awesome. Breaking his record 2 days in a row! Ryuzo has constantly impressed me as an athlete as well as being a very very nice guy to talk to and learn from.

Kathryn broke her own record again. She is consistently pushing and getting the results. She is doing really well at Deans.

I was the next Kiwi in the line up. I was running a little behind getting to the platform and therefore rushed my prep a little, but by the time I was on the line I was totally in the zone.
I was feeling really relaxed and almost falling asleep!
I bought myself back into focus packed and dived.
It was a really good entry and felt nice on the way down. Freefall was awesome.
At around 58m I lost my mouthfull again! I flared out my arms out to slow my descent so I could bring up another mouthfull of air, but each time I reverse packed I could not hold it. Also as you can not hold the rope, I was still sinking so not being able to eq. the pressure was still coming on my ears. I got to 60.9 and decided that I needed to head up, because the mouthfill was not working. I headed up. 3 massive kicks then settle down to the rhythm that I have adopted for ascent. Its a nice relaxed kick which is continuous. I have found it to be the most energy efficient for me. I came up, surfaced and did a nice clean surface protocol.
Once I was cleared from the line, I checked my dive computer. I had spent 10 seconds at 60m trying to Eq! It just goes to show that I am now really comfortable at that depth where as before I would get down there and the first thing I wanted to do was return to the surface. This bodes well for deeper dives to come.

Tomorrow is another day. One more dive, then I will take a rest day as I would have dived 4 days in a row. The sled will be ready soon for me to make my first official attack on the Variable Weight Discipline.