Deans Blue Hole, Deadmans Caye, Bahamas

Kathryn McPhee and Kerian Hibbs have been invited to compete at the Vertical Blue Competition at Dean's blue hole, in the Bahama's alongside some of the worlds best freedivers. Both Athletes will set new NZ records in various depth disciplines during the 10 day competition.

Here you will be able to check on their pre-competition activity and track their progress during the competition.

Thursday, April 10, 2008

Day 10 - Second to last day today

It was a real mixed bag today. In order to share the tasks between all the competitors we all needed to take a turn as Safety Diver "A" or Deep Safety. Today it was me.

I missed the first dive due to a technical error which saw me driving back to the unit as quickly as possible in order to retrieve some gear then get back as soon as I possibly could.

Frank was first diver, but had Eq issues therefore did not make his dive.

Second up was Leo (USA) who was trying for 51m Constant Weight No Fins.
I met him at -20m and signaled that he was in visual contact. I continued to shadow him towards the surface but he was in distress. At -5m he lost motor function and at -2m he lost his air.
I bought him to the surface and kept him clear until he came around. My first rescue ever in Constant weight.

Next up was Kathryn who was chasing a National record of 65m. This dive was to be a long way past her deepest CW dive. I was coaching her for the dive and Fran slotted into place as Safety A.
Kathryn got away from the surface well and came up looking good. A nice Surface Protocol then a small shake saw her safely through for white cards and a new record.
I take full credit of course as it was my CW fin she was wearing. ;-)

The diver that was to follow Kathryn scratched, therefore there was a big break until it was William Trubridges turn. Again I was slated in as Coach for Will, therefore Safety A was again assigned to Fran.

William looked rock solid in his build up to what was to become a World Record dive and got away really well. He had nominated 86m extending his record set earlier in the week of 84m.
He looked great as he surfaced and completed his SP claiming the record as his and putting it just that much more difficult to break in the near future. The world record was also the first world record that Joy has been official judge for, so is a great feather in her cap to be able to say that she was one of 2 judges who officiated the world record.

Last dive of the day was to be Dave Mullins, again chasing the World Record. Nominated 113m.
He looked fairly good on the surface and got away really nicely.
The officials counted away the depth and time. At just before 3 mins I left the surface to meet him at a requested -25m. I got to 25 and waited. Slowly out of the gloom I saw the giant man coming up toward me. He was on his way up. I signaled to Safety B that I had visual.
At -22.5m he missed his first controlled kick and I knew things were not good for him.
I placed my hand on his back as he signaled to me that he was in trouble. I spun around to his side and slipped my arm under his, clamped his mouth and begun recovery. A shot of adrenalin helped boost me to the surface. Simon begun to assist around -10m and we completed recovery.
I put him onto his back then got out of the way as the other safety people were attending to him and bringing him around.

After a while, Dave was back with us and I was given the task to swim him to the shore.
Dave was then put on air to assist with recovery.

It was not to be this time around, but he was safe and this was the main thing.

Its been a mixed bag so far in Deans Blue hole. I need to drop it now and focus on my dive tomorrow as I am building on what the big man has taught me and am going to go deeper than I have before.

Send me all your good vibes.

Kerian