Deans Blue Hole, Deadmans Caye, Bahamas

Kathryn McPhee and Kerian Hibbs have been invited to compete at the Vertical Blue Competition at Dean's blue hole, in the Bahama's alongside some of the worlds best freedivers. Both Athletes will set new NZ records in various depth disciplines during the 10 day competition.

Here you will be able to check on their pre-competition activity and track their progress during the competition.

Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Last Training Day.

Well, today they needed a volunteer to test the counter balance retrieval system. I was very quick to put my hand up for that. I need to experience the depths that I will be diving to in Constant Weight so I was first with my hand up.

I elected to dive to 70m, my deepest ever dive so that they had decent depth to gauge the retrevial from. Due to the nature of me being pulled down then pulled back up again, its now considered a "No Limits" dive.

It was also a chance for William to test the bottom camera and luck me then full dive to be recorded.

I did my stretches and breath up, secured my lanyard to the line and it was time to go.

William let the cleat go and I was off. Again, I found it a very easy dive to that depth and no issue to Equalize at all! Got to the bottom, then hung myself below the plate for the ride up. What a rush!
I came to the surface and did my safety protocol. No limits is too easy!

After that I went through my deep safety checks with Grant in order to make sure that we are up to speed with deep rescue.

Tomorrow is the first day of comp and I am having a rest day. (As is William Trubridge and David Mullins). Kathryn is diving tomorrow so wish her luck.

I will post the results as they come in.